Automotive industry challenges in meeting EU 2015 environmental standard

Antonis A. Zorpas, Vassilis J. Inglezakis

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

54 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Automotive Shredder Residue (ASR) generation in EU is approximately 2-2.5 million t/y, constituting 10% of total hazardous waste in the EU. Currently, about 75% of ELVs total weight is recycled while the remaining 25% (ASR). Not surprisingly, Europe is the world's largest vehicle producer as about 30% of the 50 million cars produced globally are manufactured in the EU. Worldwide, ASR is considered an increasingly problematic waste, consisting of a large number of different materials that basically remains unprocessed and directed to landfills. The aim of this study is to provide an overview of the ASR problem and the options for processing this waste in order to minimize the waste directed to landfills.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)55-83
Number of pages29
JournalTechnology in Society
Volume34
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Feb 2012
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

environmental standards
automotive industry
Automotive industry
EU
waste processing
Land fill
hazardous waste
producer
Railroad cars
Environmental standards
Processing
Landfill

Keywords

  • ASR
  • Directive 2000/53
  • ELVs
  • Hazardous waste
  • Tires

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Business and International Management
  • Education
  • Human Factors and Ergonomics
  • Sociology and Political Science

Cite this

Automotive industry challenges in meeting EU 2015 environmental standard. / Zorpas, Antonis A.; Inglezakis, Vassilis J.

In: Technology in Society, Vol. 34, No. 1, 02.2012, p. 55-83.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{10580a7c6cdc4fc5a7972d084bfd5a9a,
title = "Automotive industry challenges in meeting EU 2015 environmental standard",
abstract = "Automotive Shredder Residue (ASR) generation in EU is approximately 2-2.5 million t/y, constituting 10{\%} of total hazardous waste in the EU. Currently, about 75{\%} of ELVs total weight is recycled while the remaining 25{\%} (ASR). Not surprisingly, Europe is the world's largest vehicle producer as about 30{\%} of the 50 million cars produced globally are manufactured in the EU. Worldwide, ASR is considered an increasingly problematic waste, consisting of a large number of different materials that basically remains unprocessed and directed to landfills. The aim of this study is to provide an overview of the ASR problem and the options for processing this waste in order to minimize the waste directed to landfills.",
keywords = "ASR, Directive 2000/53, ELVs, Hazardous waste, Tires",
author = "Zorpas, {Antonis A.} and Inglezakis, {Vassilis J.}",
year = "2012",
month = "2",
doi = "10.1016/j.techsoc.2011.12.006",
language = "English",
volume = "34",
pages = "55--83",
journal = "Technology in Society",
issn = "0160-791X",
publisher = "Elsevier",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Automotive industry challenges in meeting EU 2015 environmental standard

AU - Zorpas, Antonis A.

AU - Inglezakis, Vassilis J.

PY - 2012/2

Y1 - 2012/2

N2 - Automotive Shredder Residue (ASR) generation in EU is approximately 2-2.5 million t/y, constituting 10% of total hazardous waste in the EU. Currently, about 75% of ELVs total weight is recycled while the remaining 25% (ASR). Not surprisingly, Europe is the world's largest vehicle producer as about 30% of the 50 million cars produced globally are manufactured in the EU. Worldwide, ASR is considered an increasingly problematic waste, consisting of a large number of different materials that basically remains unprocessed and directed to landfills. The aim of this study is to provide an overview of the ASR problem and the options for processing this waste in order to minimize the waste directed to landfills.

AB - Automotive Shredder Residue (ASR) generation in EU is approximately 2-2.5 million t/y, constituting 10% of total hazardous waste in the EU. Currently, about 75% of ELVs total weight is recycled while the remaining 25% (ASR). Not surprisingly, Europe is the world's largest vehicle producer as about 30% of the 50 million cars produced globally are manufactured in the EU. Worldwide, ASR is considered an increasingly problematic waste, consisting of a large number of different materials that basically remains unprocessed and directed to landfills. The aim of this study is to provide an overview of the ASR problem and the options for processing this waste in order to minimize the waste directed to landfills.

KW - ASR

KW - Directive 2000/53

KW - ELVs

KW - Hazardous waste

KW - Tires

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84857191914&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84857191914&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.techsoc.2011.12.006

DO - 10.1016/j.techsoc.2011.12.006

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:84857191914

VL - 34

SP - 55

EP - 83

JO - Technology in Society

JF - Technology in Society

SN - 0160-791X

IS - 1

ER -