The significance of measuring the time course of serum malondialdehyde concentration in patients with torsion of the testis

Elijah O. Kehinde, Olusegun A. Mojiminiyi, Akram H. Mahmoud, Khaleel A. Al-Awadi, Adel Al-Hunayan, Alexander E. Omu

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

18 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Purpose: We determined the time course of malondialdehyde, a measure of free radical damage, in patients undergoing standard surgical treatment for testicular torsion. Materials and Methods: Patients presenting with testicular torsion were studied prospectively. Blood samples were obtained after administering general anesthesia but before surgical incision, and 10 minutes, 30 minutes and 24 hours after detorsion. Orchiopexy was performed in patients with viable testes (group 1) and orchiectomy was performed in those with nonviable testes (group 2). Further blood samples were obtained 1 and 3 months after surgery. Similar blood samples were taken from controls, including patients younger than 40 years undergoing other operations involving manipulation of the testis, such as hydrocelectomy or orchiopexy (group 3). The level of malondialdehyde in each serum sample was determined by the thiobarbituric acid reaction. Results: A total of 65 patients were studied, including 56 with testicular torsion and 9 controls (group 3). Of the 56 patients 11 (19.6%) with testicular torsion underwent ipsilateral orchiectomy and contralateral orchiopexy (group 2). The remaining 45 patients (80.4%) underwent bilateral orchiopexy (group 1). However serum malondialdehyde was estimated in only 34 of the 56 patients with torsion. Mean malondialdehyde at 0, 10 and 30 minutes, 24 hours, and 3 and 6 months was 3.3, 3.69, 3.69, 2.9, 2.65 and 2.39 nmol./ml. on the 24 group 1 patients, 3.53, 4.56, 3.87, 2.87, 2.82 and 2.64 nmol./ml. in the 10 group 2 patients, and 3.6, 3.08, 3.18, 2.95, 2.88 and 2.65 nmol./ml. in the 9 group 3 controls, respectively. The highest serum malondialdehyde was at 10 minutes after detorsion in groups 1 and 2. There was a statistically significant difference in malondialdehyde between groups 1 and 2 compared with group 3 at 10 minutes (p <0.04). Serum malondialdehyde returned to baseline at 24 hours in all patients. Conclusions: The results of this study indicate that testicular torsion and its treatment with detorsion is an example of ischemia-reperfusion injury, producing measurable changes in malondialdehyde in humans. Thus, serum malondialdehyde could be used to determine the extent of injury.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)2177-2180
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Urology
Volume169
Issue number6
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jun 1 2003

Keywords

  • Free radicals
  • Malondialdehyde
  • Reperfusion injury
  • Spermatic cord torsion
  • Testis

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Urology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'The significance of measuring the time course of serum malondialdehyde concentration in patients with torsion of the testis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this